Logo | Casper Children's Center

asper Children's Center

Schedule an Appointment

If you can't find a slot,
call us and we'll fit you in

Casper Children's Center . 940 E. 3rd Street . Suite 205
Casper, WY 82601
T:  307 577 4260
F:  307 577 4263

pre-adult.png

Holiday time is here! Make sure you take these things into account for a smooth and safe holiday season.

The American Academy of Pediatrics released several tips on how to ensure your family has a safe holiday season.

Trees

  • When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness. A fresh tree is green, needles are hard to pull from branches, and needles do not break when bent between your fingers. The trunk butt of a fresh tree is sticky with resin, and when tapped on the ground, the tree should not lose many needles.
  • Cut a few inches off the trunk of your tree to expose the fresh wood. This allows for better water absorption and will help keep your tree from drying out and becoming a fire hazard.
More tree tips here.

Christmas Lights

  • Some light strands may contain lead in the bulb sockets and wire coating, sometimes in high amounts. Make sure your lights are out of reach of young children who might try to put lights in their mouths and wash your hands after handling them.

  • Don't use the same extension cord for more than three strands of lights and turn off all lights before going to bed.
More light tips here.

Decorations

  • Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens. Always use non-flammable holders, and place candles where they will not be knocked over.

  • Remove all wrapping papers, bags, paper, ribbons and bows from tree and fireplace areas after gifts are opened. These items can pose suffocation and choking hazards to a small child or can cause a fire if near flame.

More decoration tips here.

Toy Safety

  • Children can have serious stomach and intestinal problems – including death – after swallowing button batteries or magnets. In addition to toys, button batteries are often found in musical greeting cards, remote controls, hearing aids, and other small electronics. Small, powerful magnets are present in many homes as part of building toy sets. Keep button batteries and magnets away from young children and call your health care provider immediately if your child swallows one.

  • Parents should store toys in a designated location, such as on a shelf or in a toy box, and keep older kids' toys away from young children. Use a toy box with no lid or a lightweight, non-locking lid and ventilation holes.

More toy safety tips here.

Food Safety

  • Always keep raw foods and cooked foods separate, and use separate utensils when preparing them.
  • Foods that require refrigeration should never be left at room temperature for more than two hours.
More food safety tips here.

Holiday Visiting

  • Traveling, visiting family members, getting presents, shopping, etc., can all increase your child's stress levels. Trying to stick to your child's usual routines, including sleep schedules and timing of naps, can help you and your child enjoy the holidays and reduce stress.
  • Keep a list with all of the important phone numbers you or a baby sitter are likely to need in case of an emergency. Include the police and fire department, your pediatrician and the national Poison Help Line, 1-800-222-1222. Laminating the list will prevent it from being torn or damaged by accidental spills.
More holiday visiting tips here.

Fireplaces

  • Before lighting any fire, remove all greens, boughs, papers, and other decorations from fireplace area. Check to see that the flue is open.
  • Use care with "fire salts," which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires. They contain heavy metals that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting if eaten. Keep them away from children.
More fireplace tips here.

Have a safe and happy holiday from your medical home!

Photos courtesy of Shutterstock.